Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek approval of the revised Housing Allocations and Lettings Policy and to advise Members of the consultation process required to implement a new policy.
a) That the revised Housing Allocations and Lettings Policy be adopted, subject to formal consultation with partner Registered Providers; and
b) That amendments to the appendices of the Policy, and minor operational amendments, following consultation with partner Registered Providers, be delegated to the Housing Landlord Services Manager, in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for HRA and Private Sector Housing.
· To reflect the changing housing landscape nationally and locally, in response to Covid-19 and the Homeless Reduction Act;
· To allow greater numbers of households to join the Register – by allowing a greater number of circumstances to qualify by partially relaxing qualification criteria, this will provide a truer reflection of the housing need in South Holland, and attract additional building of social housing in the district, investment of funding from Homes England and Registered Providers;
· To dispel the myth that individuals need to be homeless to be housed by the Council, and to support officers advising applicants to take responsibility of their own circumstances and seek alternative accommodation. This approach could also see a reduction in the number of households making declarations as homeless to the authority; and
· To continue to focus the policy to a vision of ensuring allocations for the “Right Person, Right Place, Right Time and at the Right Price”.)
· To do nothing, and continue to adopt the 2019 policy.
Reason Key: Significant effect on communities in two or more wards or electoral divisions of the Council;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Contact: Vikki Cherry, Housing Services Manager Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Report author: Vikki Cherry
Publication date: 28/04/2021
Date of decision: 27/04/2021
Decided at meeting: 27/04/2021 - Cabinet
Effective from: 07/05/2021