Decision Maker: Portfolio Holder for Housing and Health
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Option to lease Nene House to Care
1) That the office accommodation is leased to the care agency provider to allow them to operate from Spalding.
2) That the lease is on a 5 year term (with relevant break clauses), and operate as a holding position for SHDC whilst a wider review of operational assets is undertaken.
3) That delegated authority is given to the Assets Project Officer to negotiate and conclude terms for the letting of the office space based on target rent of between £5-5.5k per year for a 5 year term.
1. The unit has been unoccupied for around 4 months now, the proposed tenant is wanting to move quickly in order to secure the location and expand their service offer. The accommodation is attached to a sheltered scheme (Nene Court) and is located within a large housing estate on the outskirts of the town centre. The accommodation will have limits to the type of service it will attract.
2. In leasing the office accommodation an income of between £5k and 5.5k will be generated offsetting future maintenance costs and ensuring efficient management of the council’s assets. If we do not wish to do this and market the office accommodation there could be further delays in finding a suitable tenant, incurring further loss of income to SHDC
3. The service the proposed tenants are going to deliver from the unit offers a great benefit to the people not only within Nene Court but also within the District.
OPTION 1 - Lease Nene House office accommodation to the care agency on a 5 year lease with the relevant lease clauses. RECOMMENDED
OPTION 2 – Do nothing – this option is not recommended. The unit will continue to be unoccupied with potential revenue lost.
OPTION 3 – Turn down the offer from the local care agency and market the unit – this option is not recommended due to the uncertainty around potential letting options. There could be further delays in finding a suitable tenant, incurring further loss of income to SHDC.
Wards Affected: Spalding St John's;
Conflict of Interest: It is the opinion of the Officer that there is no Conflict of Interest.
Subject to Urgent Proceedings: This decision is not subject to Urgent Proceedings.
Contact: Rachael Hunns, Asset Project Officer Email: RachaelHunns@sholland.gov.uk.
Publication date: 05/12/2018
Date of decision: 05/12/2018
Effective from: 13/12/2018