Decision Maker: Portfolio Holder for Growth and Commercialisation
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To approve the Council's approach to the delivery of the Phase 2 of the discretionary business grants scheme, to support businesses affected by Covid-19
1) That the programme guidance for the South Holland Discretionary Business Grants Scheme Phase 2, as set out within Appendix 1, is approved.
2) That the Executive Director for Commercialisation be authorised to implement the Phase 2 Scheme, and make all determinations thereunder that fall in accordance with the guidance as set out within Appendix 1
3) That a programme of financial support for regular market traders, as set out in para 1.10, is approved
4) That the designation of funds to support Phase 1 applicants, as per para 1.11, is approved
5) That delegation be provided to the Executive Director for Commercialisation to make minor subsequent changes to the scheme.
The reasons for urgency include the economic need to mobilise the programme as soon as practicably possible, and a government expectation that local authorities will start making payments to businesses under their schemes in early August. It is therefore necessary that the authority agrees the principles under which its own scheme will operate, so as to enable mobilisation of the scheme in a timely fashion.
In response to the Covid-19 pandemic, and its impact upon the wider economy, central government has called upon local government to deliver a discretionary business grants fund designed to support businesses financially affected by the current circumstances.
To agree the approach to the delivery of the council’s discretionary business grants scheme Phase 2, and to enable preparatory work around scheme mobilisation to commence.
That the report recommendation are not approved, and members consider an alternative scheme by making amendments to Appendix 1. Under this option, officers will revisit the proposed scheme to make amendments, as directed by members.
Do nothing (Not recommended). Under this option, the principles are not agreed. The council will need to revisit the scheme principles and consider alternative options.
Conflict of Interest: None.
Dispensation Granted: None.
Contact: Matthew Hogan, Executive Manager Growth Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Urgent item?: Yes
Publication date: 28/07/2020
Date of decision: 28/07/2020