Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To determine the Council Tax Support scheme for 2023/24
1) That Cabinet recommend that Full Council approve:
2) That approval be delegated for the 2023/24 final scheme to the Deputy Chief Executive – Corporate Development (S151), in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Finance, Partnerships and Commercialisation in line with the report, and any administrative and minor changes;
3) That a more fundamental scheme review be progressed for future years (this would not form part of the scheme decision for 2023/24).
· Full Council must make any revision to its scheme, or any replacement, and agree its final scheme no later than 11 March 2023 in respect of the 2023/24 financial year;
· Retention of the key principles and approach of the current scheme and uprating would provide continuity for customers and, increasing the maximum support to 75% would provide additional financial support for those on lowest incomes facing the cost-of-living challenges;
· It was timely to commence a fundamental review of the scheme, which would give the opportunity to consider options which simplified the scheme for the customer, was more efficient to administer, and more fit for purpose for the future).
· The ‘do nothing’ option was considered, which would see the current scheme retained, uprated in line with an earlier decision of the Council.
Report author: Sharon Hammond
Publication date: 12/01/2023
Date of decision: 10/01/2023
Decided at meeting: 10/01/2023 - Cabinet
Effective from: 20/01/2023