Decision Maker: Portfolio Holder for Assets & Planning
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: No
To consider whether to acquire a property to be occupied by rough sleepers and those threatened with rough sleeping, utilising the MHCLG grant allocation and the General Fund Capital program budget ‘Capital acquisitions re Growth and Commercialisation’.
1) That the funding identified in the report is utilised from the approved General Fund capital program budget ‘capital acquisitions re Growth and Commercialisation’ and a similar amount from the MHCLG capital grant allocation, to enable the purchase and adaptation of the identified property in Spalding Monkshouse ward.
2) That authority be delegated to the Executive Director – Commercialisation (S.151 Officer) to agree a purchase price, oversee due diligence, sign any necessary contract and complete the transfer, and undertake any other actions necessary to secure the purchase of this property within the agreed budget.
· Acquisition of this property will assist in the delivery of much needed accommodation for those who would otherwise be forced to sleep rough.
· The Council has made a decision to accept the grant allocation and to provide accommodation for rough sleepers and those threatened with rough sleeping. This property acquisition meets the approved project mandate.
· The property acquisition is proposed to be subsidised through grant funding from MHCLG. The proposed match funding will be taken from the approved General Fund capital program budget ‘capital acquisitions re Growth and Commercialisation’ in accordance with the Council and Leader decision. Whilst the acquisition would still provide a financial return to the authority without the grant funding, as set out in Appendix A, it will provide a better return if the grant is utilised.
· This property is considered to be in an appropriate location, close to relevant services and amenities. The property is an appropriate size for the intended purpose.
· Having considered the feedback from Ward Members and from the Performance Monitoring Panel, the Portfolio Holder is confident that the acquisition remains suitable for the reasons set out in paragraph 3.2 of the report.
· The acquisition of this property will provide a number of benefits, including:
i. It will provide accommodation for rough sleepers and those threatened with rough sleeping by taking them off the streets and providing them with accommodation and wraparound services to enable them to sustain their tenancy and prepare for longer term accommodation options.
ii. It will increase the range of supported housing available in the district.
iii. It will enable the authority to utilise capital funding allocated to SHDC by MHCLG, to address a local issue.
iv. The delivery of this property will provide a long term Return on Investment as set out in Appendix A.
v. The acquisition of this property will increase the SHDC asset base.
· Do not utilise the General Fund capital program budget ‘capital acquisitions re Growth and Commercialisation’ to acquire this property.
· Do nothing, in which case the identified property would not be purchased and alternative properties would be pursued.
· The decision is urgent as the grant funding agreement, which supports the acquisition, requires that the property be available for use by 31 March 2021.
Reason Key: Incurring expenditure above £75,000 threshold in respect of revenue/£180,000 in respect of capital;
Wards Affected: (All Wards);
Conflict of Interest: None
Dispensation Granted: None
Contact: Caroline Hannon, Strategic Housing Manager Email: Caroline.Hannon@breckland-sholland.gov.uk.
Publication date: 22/02/2021
Date of decision: 22/02/2021