Agenda and minutes

Annual Meeting, South Holland District Council
Wednesday, 16th May, 2018 6.30 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Council Offices, Priory Road, Spalding

Contact: Gregory Watkinson  01775 764599

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of a Chairman

The Chairman / Monitoring Officer will invite nominations for the election of a Chairman for the ensuing year.  A Chairman will then be elected and sign the acceptance of office.

 

Minutes:

The Deputy Monitoring Officer invited nominations for the election of Chairman of the Council for the ensuing year. Councillor Grocock was nominated and seconded.

 

DECISION:

 

That Councillor R Grocock be elected as Chairman of the Council for the ensuing year.

2.

Election of a Vice-Chairman

The Chairman will invite nominations for the election of a Vice-Chairman.

 

Minutes:

The Chairman of the Council invited nominations for the election of Vice-Chairman of the Council for the ensuing year. Councillor Drury was nominated and seconded.

 

DECISION

 

That Councillor Drury be elected as Vice-Chairman of the Council for the ensuing year.

3.

Apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillor Johnson.

4.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 59 KB

To sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 11 April 2018 (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

The Council considered the minutes of the meeting held on 11 April 2018.

 

DECISION:

 

That the minutes of the meeting held on 11 April 2018 be agreed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

 

5.

Declaration of Interests.

(Where a Councillor has a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest the Councillor must declare the interest to the meeting and leave the room without participating in any discussion or making a statement on the item, except where a Councillor is permitted to remain as a result of a grant of dispensation.)

Minutes:

Item 17 – South Holland Centre Planned Maintenance and Essential Remedial Works - Councillor Coupland did not have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest but stated that one of his companies had in the past been affected by the works to the South Holland Centre. Therefore he would not participate in voting on this item.

6.

Chairman's Announcements.

Minutes:

The Chairman welcomed Councillor Wray to the Council.

 

The Chairman announced the Spalding WW2 memorial was on track to raise enough money to be built, and installed, hopefully by March 2019. He also announced that the drinking fountain in Ayscoughee gardens had been removed, but that it was intended to reinstate the drinking fountain at a town centre location to be determined as part of a wider town centre policy.

7.

Announcements by Leader and Members of the Cabinet.

Minutes:

The Leader of the Council announced that it was possible that changes would be made to the Cabinet before the next meeting of Council.

 

The Leader also congratulated Councillor Wray on her election and thanked her and the other candidates for their participation.

8.

Questions asked on notice under Standing Order 6

Minutes:

The following questions were received from Councillor Dark. Responses were circulated by the Portfolio Holder – Place;

1)    Given the considerable number of requests from across the District for the brown bin service to be extended what is the reason for the delay?

The garden waste collection trial commenced in April 2016 following approval by Cabinet. The 2 year trial gave opportunity to investigate actual subscription data and performance in order to make robust decisions on the future of such a service for South Holland.

 

In accordance with the approved cabinet recommendations, Officers decided, in conjunction with the Portfolio Holder for Place, to continue the trial into year 2 in exactly the same manner as year 1 in order to establish subscription trends and costs and so as not to put unnecessary expenditure and cost pressures on the service. This was due to insufficient evidence in March 2017 to confirm that there was enough demand to increase the collections by another route. Full capacity was reached in Summer 2017.

 

In November 2017 and January 2018 an update was taken back to Members of Cabinet and Council, confirming the trial performance and recommendations for moving forward.  The recommendations outlined proposals to extend the current scheme with a second collection vehicle, of which was approved.

 

Subsequently, funding was released for a collection vehicle (26 week delivery) and bin lift conversion (12 week delivery).  Staff funds were released in April with routing, customer notifications, collection day changes for existing customers and so forth commencing. The new collection routes will be mobilised in June 2018.

 

2)    On what date did it become obvious that demand was such that the service would be a cost neutral service and from that point what action was taken to evaluate the need for increased staffing and vehicles

 

The report presented to cabinet 2017 identified the financial situation of the garden waste trial and recommended situation for moving forward.

 

3)    How many residents are actually on the waiting list?

 

1950 residents are currently on the waiting list however at the time of the Cabinet report there were 1555.

 

4)    When can residents who have been on the waiting lists for over a year expect the service to be extended?

 

Customers on the waiting list will be contacted early June.

 

5)    The most recent complaint to me from a resident who has been waiting six months, not long compared to many other residents, who stated that he was informed the District waiting list was not long enough for a bulk bin order to be placed and he would remain on the waiting list for Magellan Estate, is that correct?

 

The ability to increase subscription numbers is linked to vehicle capacity and not bin order numbers.

 

 

Councillor Dark thanked the Portfolio Holder for the comprehensive responses to his questions.

9.

Questions asked without notice under Standing Order 7

Minutes:

Question to:            Councillor Worth

Question from:       Councillor Newton

Subject:                   A16 and A17 – Relief of pinch points and traffic stresses                               in South Holland. Councillor Newton asked what was                                        being done to address traffic issues in the district.

 

Councillor Worth responded that this was a large debate, particularly with haulage companies, and that the matter was often discussed. He stated that pinch points were being looked at, such as the Sutterton Roundabout. The District Council often took the opportunity to raise the matter with the County Council such as at Business Breakfasts.

 

 

Question to:            The Leader of the Council

Question from:        Councillor Brewis

Subject:                   Drainage Board Levies – Adversely impacting upon areas                             covered by the drainage boards. Councillor Brewis asked                                 the leader if anything could be done to address the                                               additional costs to Council Tax payers in respect of                                         drainage board levies falling on local tax payers.

 

The Leader responded that a special interest group could be established through the LGA and joined by 10 or more Councils. He felt that joining such a group would be an effective way of tackling issues relating to the Drainage Boards. It was also stated that lobbying for a funding-review had already happened.

 

 

Question to:            The Leader of the Council

Question from:       Councillor Brewis

Subject:                   Flood priorities – Councillor Brewis had heard that it was                               the Policy of the Council to prioritise recovery of the                                               Priory Road offices over other areas in the event of a                                           flood and asked whether this was true and if so, why.

 

The Leader of the Council answered that he was not aware of any policy that prioritised the Council Offices and that priorities would be areas where the need was  greatest.

 

Councillor Gambba-Jones added that the suggestion that the Priory Road offices had been made a priority over other areas was a clear misinterpretation of the message delivered to members.

10.

Committee Minutes pdf icon PDF 123 KB

To receive the minutes of the following Committees and Panels:-

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Governance and Audit Committee - 15 March 2018

 

DECISION:

 

That the minutes be received.

 

Planning Committee - 10 April 2018

 

DECISION:

 

That the minutes be received.

11.

Key Decision Plan pdf icon PDF 123 KB

To receive the current Key Decision Plan (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the Key Decision Plan.

 

DECISION:

 

That the Key Decision Plan be noted

 

12.

Constitution pdf icon PDF 68 KB

To consider variations to the Constitution (report of the Monitoring Officer enclosed).

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Monitoring Officer which proposed a number of variations to the Constitution.

 

The Authority aimed to keep the constitution up to date regularly.

 

Councillors asked if the introduction of a new type of Planning Application would affect procedures. Officers stated that there would be no change to procedure, but that the change would ensure that the definition of a planning application was accurate in light of recent legislative changes.

 

DECISION:

 

a)    That the minor variations made by the Monitoring Officer and listed in paragraph 1.2 of the report be endorsed and continue to have effect.

 

b)    That the Monitoring Officer be authorised to amend Part 3 Section F1 of the Constitution to make it clear that where more than one officer is identified as a proper officer then each officer is a proper officer for matters falling within his/her respective jurisdiction.

 

c)    That Part 3, Section F1, paragraph 15 of the Constitution be amended in accordance with paragraph 1.3 of the report.

 

d)    That the staffing delegations in Part 3, Section F1 of the constitution be amended in accordance with paragraph 1.5 of the report; and

 

e)    That the definition of Planning Applications set out in Part 3, Section F3 of the Constitution be amended to include reference to the new form of planning application – application for planning permission in principle and technical details

13.

Political Group Regulations - Committee Seats Review pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To confirm, in accordance with the Local Government (Committees and Political Groups) Regulations 1990, alternative arrangements and to review political seat allocations to Committees (report of the Executive Manager – Governance (Deputy Monitoring Officer) enclosed).

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Executive Manager – Governance which sought to confirm, in accordance with the Local Government (Committees and Political Groups) Regulations 1990, alternative arrangements and to review political seat allocations to Committees.

 

This was necessary due to  changes to political group membership and this had caused a need for new appointments.

 

DECISION:

 

a)    That the following Committees continue to be appointed in accordance with political group regulations:

 

·         Planning Committee

·         Governance and Audit

·         Joint Appointments and Disciplinary Committee

·         Joint Appointments and Disciplinary Appeal Committee

·         Policy Development Panel

 

b)    That the following Committees continue NOT to be appointed in accordance with political group regulations:

 

·         Standards Panel

·         Licensing Committee

·         Committee of the Licensing Authority

·         Performance Monitoring Panel

·         Appeals Panel

·         Grievance Panel

·         Settlements Agreements Sub-Committee

 

c)    That committee seats be reviewed in accordance with paragraph 1.6 of the report.

 

14.

Nominations for Committees and other Seats and Proposed Changes to the Constitution.

To receive, from political groups, nominations for any changes to Committees and other seats and to consider any proposed changes to the Constitution.

Minutes:

Councillor Wray was appointed to the Performance Monitoring Panel, The Licensing Committee, the Committee of the Licensing Authority, the Black Sluice Internal Drainage Board and the Welland and Deepings Internal Drainage Board.

 

Councillors Slade and Foyster were appointed to the Policy Development Panel.

 

Councillor Sneath was replaced on the Licensing Committee and the Committee of the Licensing Authority by Councillor Biggadike.

 

 

15.

Any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent

 

 

NOTE:            No other business is permitted unless by reason of special circumstances, which shall be specified in the minutes, the Chairman is of the opinion that the items(s) should be considered as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were none

16.

Exclusion of the press and public

To consider resolving that, under section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraph 3 of Schedule 12 (A) of the Act.

 

Minutes:

DECISION:

 

That, under section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the press and public be excluded from the meeting for the following items of business on the grounds that they involve the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 1, 2, 3 and 4 of Schedule 12 (A) of the Act.

 

17.

South Holland Centre Planned Maintenance and Essential Remedial Works

To approve and fund essential maintenance and remedial works to South Holland Centre (report of Deputy Leader and Executive Director Place enclosed).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Deputy Leader and Executive Director Place which sought approval and funding for essential maintenance and remedial works to South Holland Centre.

 

DECISION:

 

That funding be released for the works in accordance with the report and that authority be delegated to the Executive Director of Place, in consultation with the Deputy Leader, to proceed with the works as soon as possible.