Agenda and minutes

Performance Monitoring Panel - Tuesday, 7th February, 2017 6.30 pm

Venue: Meeting Room 1, Council Offices, Priory Road, Spalding

Contact: Christine Morgan  01775 764454

Items
No. Item

30.

Review of Implemented Planning Decisions pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To update the Panel on the response to its recommendations by the Planning Committee (report of the Executive Director Place enclosed).

Minutes:

With the permission of the Chairman, this item was considered as the first item of business at the meeting.

 

Consideration was given to the report of the Executive Director of Place, updating the Panel on the response from Planning Committee to the Panel’s recommendations.

 

The Panel had made the following recommendations to the Planning Committee:

 

a)

·         That consideration of evidence on viability of housing schemes is more transparent and robustly challenged to ensure the delivery of schemes as originally approved.  It is suggested that the District Valuer (or equivalent) is contacted with a view to exploring member training on viability.

·         That greater consideration is given to the design and layout of housing development through the exploration of the potential for a specific Supplementary Planning Document to be produced as part of the emerging Local Plan.  This should also seek to address design responses to increase floor levels on the basis of flood risk.

·         That consideration is given to effective long-term open space management and the mechanisms for successfully delivering of site contributions in lieu of on-site provision.  This could be achieved through a revised Supplementary Planning Document on Open Space, as part of the emerging Local Plan, as well as through the Council’s commercialisation agenda.

·         That planning conditions are reviewed to ensure that they are precise and enforceable.  For example, there is concern as to at what point developers should complete the finished surfacing of roads that serve development.

·         That an up-to-date ‘Enforcement Plan’ is produced with a view to supporting effective and timely enforcement.

·         That members are encouraged to undertake their own, or exceptionally, request Committee undertake site visits, where there is considered to be a significant impact, for example wind and solar farms.

 

b)    That it be recommended to the Planning Committee that the Review of Implemented Planning Decisions tour continue on a biennial basis; and,

 

c)    That the Performance Monitoring and Policy Development Panels work together in order to promote design, and that with the Policy Development Panel’s consent, this be undertaken as follows:

 

·         That two members of the Performance Monitoring Panel join a Task Group already set up by the Policy Development Panel to review public open spaces.

·         That Councillor Alcock and Councillor Newton be members of this joint Task Group.

·         That alongside the issues already agreed by the Policy Development Panel for consideration by the Review of Public Open Spaces Task Group, recommendations made by the Performance Monitoring Panel following the review of implemented planning decisions also be addressed, particularly those relating to open space and the finishing off of pavements in new developments.

 

The recommendations were noted and agreed by Planning Committee and the minute stated that “Councillors expressed that it had been a worthwhile exercise, well-structured and that there had been a good variety of applications to consider”.

 

AGREED:

 

That the report be noted.

31.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 83 KB

To sign as a correct record the minutes of the following meetings:

Additional documents:

Minutes:

AGREED:

 

a)    The minutes of the Performance Monitoring Panel meeting held on 8 November 2016 were signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

 

b)    The minutes of the Joint Performance Monitoring Panel and Policy Development Panel meeting held on 25 October 2016 were signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

 

c)    The minutes of the Joint Performance Monitoring Panel and Policy Development Panel meeting held on 22 November  2016 were signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

32.

Declaration of Interests.

Where a Councillor has a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest the Councillor must declare the interest to the meeting and leave the room without participating in any discussion or making a statement on the item, except where a councillor is permitted to remain as a result of a grant of dispensation.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

33.

Questions asked under Standing Order 6

Minutes:

There were no questions asked under Standing Order 6.

34.

Response of the Cabinet to the Final Report of the Swimming Pool and Leisure Facilities Contract Task Group pdf icon PDF 50 KB

(report enclosed).

 

The Communities Manager will provide an update on progress of the recommendations

Minutes:

The final report of the Swimming Pool and Leisure Facilities Contract Task Group was considered by the Cabinet on 8 November 2016.

 

The Portfolio Holder for Communities and Facilities thanked the Task Group for their report and informed the Panel that the Cabinet had approved all of the Task Group’s recommendations.  He had discussed the recommendations with Managers at the Swimming Pool.

 

In addition, the Executive Director – Place apologised that progress had taken longer than expected and informed the Panel that he had been in contact with the Managing Director of 1Life. The following action had been taken against the recommendations:

 

a)    Recommendation

That a full time cleaner is considered by 1Life as part of their annual budget allocations. It is evident that additional hours are required for the proactive cleaning of the swimming pool facility, in particular the changing room areas, in order to adhere to the requirements of the contract.

 

Action to date

·         The Castle Complex had 1 X 30 hour cleaner and 1 X6 hour cleaner.

·         All staff had cleaning duties in their job description.

·         Additional dedicated pool changing room cleaning resource was requested by the 1Life Contract Manager.  This was approved and interviews were scheduled for week commencing 6 February.

·         Regional management had also approved an external contractor deep clean to assist with problem areas.

·         New cleaning chemicals had also been sourced and would be available from March 17 once all staff had received training.

 

b)    Recommendation

That contract management of the site improves with a formally recorded daily and weekly monitoring regime and that should standards fall short of the requirements within the contract, the contract warning system is to be followed through and robustly pursued by the contract manager.

 

Action to date

·         A daily and weekly monitoring regime was in place on site.

·         There was a daily and weekly cleaning schedule which must be completed by staff on site. 

·         The 1Life Contract Manager had developed a more detailed list for internal inspections that duty managers were to complete.

·         These were viewed at contract monitoring meetings.

·         Despite these measures being in place, standards of cleanliness still fell short of customer expectations.

·         As such, additional resource had been committed for additional weekly unannounced visits from SHDC officers. These were in a detailed breakdown, against the daily, weekly and monthly items in the contract.

·         If standards fell short Improvement Notices or Default notices would be served.  Monitoring of these would be included in the Strategic Board meetings with 1Life Managing Director.

·         Following the outstanding concerns, officers met with the 1Life Contract Manager, 1Life Operations Director and the new Regional Director in January and requested a full improvement plan.

·         This has been received and further detail requested.

·         This will be monitored and sanctions used if this is not met.

 

c)    Recommendation

That staff within the facilities record and notify management of any repairs

required on a daily basis and that these are dealt with in a timely manner. In addition, all outstanding repairs and maintenance should be  ...  view the full minutes text for item 34.

35.

Items referred from the Policy Development Panel.

Minutes:

There were no items referred from the Policy Development Panel.

36.

Key Decision Plan pdf icon PDF 99 KB

To note the current Key Decision Plan

Minutes:

The Panel considered the current Key Decision Plan and stressed the importance of the document being full and accurate.

 

The Corporate Improvement and Performance Manager informed the Panel that under transparency regulations the Council was required to publish a contracts register.  If Councillors wished to have input into this then it could be reported to the Panel every 6 months.

 

AGREED:

 

That the Corporate Improvement and Performance Manager reports the Contracts Register to the Panel on a six-monthly basis.

37.

Performance Overview Report - Quarter 3 2016-17 pdf icon PDF 95 KB

To provide an update on Council performance for the period 1 October to 31 December 2016 (report of the Executive Director Strategy and Governance enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Executive Director Strategy and Governance which provided an update on Council performance for the period 1 October 2016 to 31 December 2016. Areas where performance had improved since the previous period (Q2 2016/2017) were brought to members’ attention, as were areas of concern where performance was below expected levels or was considered to be worsening.

 

The Corporate Improvement and Performance Manager informed members that there had been technical issues with the production of the report and information relating to the numerators and denominators would be circulated shortly.

 

Quarter 3 saw increased levels of performance against the majority of indicators compared to the performance seen in Quarter 2. Performance was rated as good with 82% of indicators being green which indicated good performance. There was 1 amber indicator and 2 red indicators which in total made up the remaining 18% of indicators.

 

Areas of concern highlighted within the report included the following:

 

Housing Benefit LA Error Rate

 

The Housing Benefit LA error rate currently stood at 0.45% against a target of 0.48% which was equal to £67,000.  Councillors appreciated that this was not as bad as it sounded as it was under the threshold to incur a penalty. Weekly updates were received from CPBS.

 

The Panel sought clarification regarding the long-standing housing benefit cases.  This was raised with CPBS on a regular basis and a position statement would be circulated to Councillors shortly.

 

AGREED:

 

a)    That the report of the Executive Director Strategy and Governance be noted; and

 

b)    That the following documents be circulated to the Panel:

 

·         Numerator and denominator information

·         Position statement on Housing Benefit

38.

Enforcement

The Panel will receive a presentation from the Environmental Services Manager and the Communities Manager outlining how South Holland District Council proposes to provide a coordinated Authority-wide approach to enforcement in the future.  Councillors will have the opportunity to question officers and discuss issues.

Minutes:

The panel received a presentation from the Environmental Services Manager outlining how South Holland District Council proposed to provide a pro-active coordinated Authority-wide approach to enforcement in the future.

 

Councillors agreed that this was an important issue for residents and the following points were made:

 

·         There was an important role for Communications so that the press and public were aware of the enforcement work being undertaken by the Council.

·         There was a perception that enforcement took too long with too much onus placed on the complainant to ‘keep a log’

·         Enforcement powers needed to exercised in respect of dog fouling with complainants able to give information anonymously.

·         There needed to be a direct way for Councillors to report issues

·         It was important that feedback detailing action taken was given to anyone who reported an issue

 

The Executive Director – Place informed Council that a service review was currently being undertaken which took in lots of teams that currently undertook enforcement.  A report would be made to Council in March 2017.

 

AGREED:

 

That the presentation be noted.

39.

Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field Task Group

The Communities Manager will provide a verbal update on progress with the recommendations of the Task Group.

Minutes:

A verbal update on progress with the recommendations of the Task Group was given by the Executive Director – Place.

 

It was noted that of the 15 recommendations, 12 had been satisfied and 3 were still in progress.

 

Recommendation

·         The Council advises the Charity Commission that the Task Group has considered the Commission’s Guidance on public benefit and is satisfied that the Council is compliant

o   Complete

 

Recommendation

·         Provides a copy of this report to the Commission in order to outline the actions proposed by the Council

o   Complete

 

Recommendation

·         Invites the Performance Monitoring Panel to appoint a Task Group on an annual (single meeting) basis for the specific purpose of ensuring that the Council remains compliant with Charity Commission Guidance

o   Complete

 

Recommendation

·         The site remains secured when not in use under a formal booking and that bookings only be granted where the proposed use has some connection to sport

o   Complete

 

Recommendation

·         The Council advertises the availability of the site more widely and begins by erecting appropriate signage at the site entrance in a similar format to the sign at Spalding Cemetery

o   Complete.  Signage had been installed and information had been updated on the refreshed website

 

Recommendation

·         Organise an open day at which local sports clubs are invited to have a stall – possibly linked to the next People’s Parade.

o   An event was held on 17 August 2015 to promote a physical activity and wellbeing programme across the district and local sports club invited.

o   Based on Member feedback, an additional Showcase event had been scheduled for 2 April 2017 for sports clubs which would help promote their Easter holiday and Summer activities

 

Recommendation

·         That management and promotion/ branding of the Sir Halley Stewart Field be improved, and that users / interested parties be consulted on any proposed changes to promotion / branding

o   Complete.  The revised booking form, guidance and information was available on the SHDC website.

 

Recommendation

·         That a new charging mechanism be introduced in order to ensure that hirers who use services such as gas, electricity (including floodlights), water and sewage are required to meet the full cost of their use of the playing field and that officers consider the best mechanism for achieving this.

o   Fees and charges were reviewed for 16-17 and there were appropriate rates for matches, pitch and dressing room, local league rates, juniors, training and field training.  There were additional rates for floodlights per hour.

o   Additional measures had been put in place to control and measure utility consumption.  Utility costs across facilities continues to be reviewed and new providers and rates for electricity were agreed in Q3 of this financial year for the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field.  This would enable further work on cost recovery to be undertaken.

o   Hirers for events and activities would be bespoke based on their requirements.

 

Recommendation

·         That, as part of its Building maintenance Programme and/or Capital Renewal Programme, the Council considers repairing / improving the Council-owned buildings/structures at the site  ...  view the full minutes text for item 39.

40.

Performance Monitoring Panel Work Programme pdf icon PDF 64 KB

To set out the Work Programme of the Performance Monitoring Panel (report of the Executive Manager Governance enclosed)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Executive Manager Governance, which set out the Work Programme of the Performance Monitoring Panel. The Work Programme consisted of two separate sections, the first setting out the dates of the future Panel meetings along with proposed items for consideration, and the second setting out the Task Groups that had been identified by the Panel.

 

AGREED:

 

That both sections of the Panel’s Work Programme, as set out in the report of the Executive Manager Governanace, be noted.

41.

Any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent

 

 

NOTE:            No other business is permitted unless by reason of special circumstances, which shall be specified in the minutes, the Chairman is of the opinion that the item(s) should be considered as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

42.

Exclusion of the Press and Public

To consider resolving that, under Section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

Minutes:

It was not necessary to give consideration to excluding the press and public.

43.

Exempt minutes of the joint meeting of the Performance Monitoring Panel and Policy Development Panel held on 25 October 2016

To receive the exempt minutes of the joint meeting of the Performance Monitoring Panel and Policy Development Panel held on 25 October 2016 (copy enclosed).

Minutes:

These minutes were agreed earlier in the meeting without the need to exclude the press and public.