Agenda and draft minutes

Performance Monitoring Panel - Wednesday, 15th June, 2022 6.30 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Council Offices, Priory Road, Spalding

Contact: Democratic Services  01775 764693

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 178 KB

To sign as a correct record the minutes of the following meetings:

Additional documents:

Minutes:

AGREED:

 

That the minutes of the following meetings be signed by the Chairman as a correct record:

 

·         Performance Monitoring Panel meeting held on Wednesday 16 March 2022.

 

·         Joint Performance Monitoring Panel and Policy Development Panel meeting held on 4 May 2022.

 

 

2.

Actions pdf icon PDF 162 KB

An update on actions which arose at the 16 March 2022 Performance Monitoring Panel meeting (enclosed).

Minutes:

The Democratic Services Officer introduced the new ‘Actions’ standing agenda item to the Panel which gave a formal record of officer responses to actions which arose from the previous meeting. Responses would also continue to be circulated to Panel members as soon as possible after the meeting.

 

AGREED:

 

That the Actions update be noted.

3.

Declaration of Interests.

Where a Councillor has a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest the Councillor must declare the interest to the meeting and leave the room without participating in any discussion or making a statement on the item, except where a councillor is permitted to remain as a result of a grant of dispensation.

Minutes:

There were none.

4.

Questions asked under Standing Order 6

Minutes:

There were none.

5.

Tracking of Recommendations

To consider responses of the Cabinet to reports of the Panel.

Minutes:

There were none.  However, it was noted that the recommendations from the South Holland Centre Task Group would come forward to future Panel meetings. It was requested that officers provide the Chairman with a timeline of the recommendation deadlines.

 

6.

Items referred from the Policy Development Panel.

Minutes:

There were none.

7.

Key Decision Plan pdf icon PDF 234 KB

To note the current Key Decision Plan

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the Key Decision Plan dated 30 May 2022.

 

AGREED:

 

That the Key Decision Plan be noted.

8.

Q4 Performance Report 2021/2022 pdf icon PDF 246 KB

To provide an update on how the Council is performing for the period 1 January 2022 to 31 March 2022 (report of the Assistant Director – Corporate enclosed).

 

·         The Head of Customer Contact (PSPS) will be in attendance to provide the Panel with an update on the performance of the Customer Contact Centre as requested at the meeting of the Performance Monitoring Panel on 9 November 2021.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Assistant Director – Corporate which provided an update on how the Council had performed for the period 1 January 2022 to 31 March 2022.

 

The report was introduced by the Senior Change and Performance Business Partner who highlighted the following key points:

 

Areas of success included:

  • a large increase in social media impressions which had been attributed to a highly successful campaign relating to International Women’s Day and had attracted national attention;
  • positive food health and safety metrics with only one food business in the district having been graded below 3.

 

Areas of underperformance included:

  • the Customer Contact Centre however improvements had been achieved in call answering rates; and
  • housing voids which had increased from 27 in Q3 to 44 in Q4. The Housing team had been carrying a vacant post during this period which had subsequently been filled.

The Head of Customer Contact (PSPS) and members of the Housing team were in attendance to update the Panel on improvements made and to answer members’ questions

 

The Head of Customer Contact (PSPS) attended to update the Panel on the performance of the Customer Contact Centre. A presentation was delivered which included the following key points:

·         Strategic issues:

o   a 30.43% increase in demand had been experienced as a result of several factors including a significant increase in call times with a focus on providing a fuller service; and the Customer Contact Centre had received an additional 400 calls per day relating to the £150 energy rebate.

·         Service data:

o   a 4.5% increase in demand due to the pandemic in 2020/21, with a further 16.64% rise in 2021/22 had equated to 3,084 hours of continuous service pressure.

o   direct debits had increased from 66.73% to 68.46% as a result of the longer call times resulting in improved customer service;

·         Steps taken:

o   a critical recovery plan had been implemented in April 2022 to improve average call answering times: the Customer Contact Centre had improved from 160 seconds to 75 seconds, and Revenue and Benefits from 308 seconds to 264 seconds. 

o   Measures taken had resulted in 17 of the 21 Key Performance Indicator targets being achieved, compared to 9 in April 2022.

o   Recruitment had taken place and training was ongoing;

o   the Head of Customer Contact was confident that the current improvements were sustainable and would be maintained.

·         Next steps:

o   the implementation of Transformation projects later in the year included a new Customer Relationship Management system and telephony system;

o   future digital and automation opportunities would be explored whilst ensuring that service quality and capacity was maintained for customers not able or willing to engage digitally.

·         Opportunities:

o   To develop alignment of initiatives, systems and processes where possible within the S&ELCP.

 

Members considered the presentation and made the following comments:

 

·         Members stated that they were encouraged by the improvements made since the last update.

 

·         Members referred to Appendix A and asked for targets to be included within the graphs.

 

·         Members  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Waste Collection Services from Private (un-adopted) Roadways Update pdf icon PDF 238 KB

To provide an update on the policy relating to Waste Collection Services from Private (un-adopted) Roadways (report of the Assistant Director – Neighbourhoods enclosed).

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Assistant Director – Neighbourhoods which gave an update on the policy relating to Waste Collection Services from Private (unadopted) Roadways.


The Chairman of the Performance Monitoring Panel introduced the report to the Panel which highlighted no current concerns.

 

Members did not raise any questions.

 

AGREED:

 

That the report be noted.

 

10.

Public Conveniences Refurbishment pdf icon PDF 288 KB

To update the Performance Monitoring Panel on progress with maintenance improvement works to existing public toilet facilities across the District (report of the Assistant Director - General Fund Assets enclosed).

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Assistant Director – General Fund Assets to update the Performance Monitoring Panel on progress with maintenance improvement works to existing public toilet facilities across the district.

 

The Strategic Property Manager introduced the report which updated the Panel on planned and completed work following recommendations set out in the Public Toilet Task and Finish Group report on Public Conveniences.

 

The Panel considered the report and made the following comments:

 

  • Members queried why Sutton Bridge toilets had not been included in the report.
    • The Strategic Property Manager confirmed that Sutton Bridge would be programmed for later in the year when the upgrade to Crowland public conveniences had been completed.
  • Members queried whether the public toilets near the water tower in Crowland were still in existence/operating.
    • The Strategic Property Manager would investigate and confirm whether the Council still held responsibility for this facility.

 

  • Members relayed the following reports they had received regarding public conveniences: the Vine Street toilet facility in Spalding was clean but there was a lack of toilet paper; market traders had reported that Vine Street toilets in Spalding had been locked in the mornings; and the disabled toilet in Winfrey Avenue, Spalding was permanently locked which had caused difficulties for bus drivers. As the toilets had recently been refurbished, why had they been locked since March 2022?
  • The Strategic Property Manager responded that:
    • since refurbishment, the Vine Street facility had suffered vandalism which had been undeterred by three different locks. A trial timer locking system in Holbeach was underway which, if successful, could be rolled out to the Vine Street facility in Spalding and enable longer opening hours.
    • work to find a resolution for the Winfrey Avenue facility was ongoing. A strong lock was necessary to deter forced entry attempts which had previously caused damage; and
    • the Operations Team was responsible for the opening times and supplies for public toilets. The comments of the Panel would be relayed to the team.

 

  • Members referred to the upgrade programme for Holbeach toilets which, although had been delayed to accommodate the trial locking system, would ultimately be beneficial. Holbeach residents wanted the toilets to be open for as long as possible.

 

  • Members asked whether CCTV could be employed at sites which

had experienced persistent vandalism.

  • The Strategic Property Manager agreed that prevention measures would be beneficial as repairs caused by vandalism had cost thousands of pounds.

 

  • The Chairman concluded the item by stating that:
    • the overall responsible officer of the service should be made aware that investment needed to focus on vandalism prevention measures which would allay the need for costly reactive repairs and facility closures;
    • the Police should be asked to take a keener interest in the vandalism of public toilets; and
    • members should be aware of the quality of public toilets in the district, and they were encouraged to visit the refurbished facilities.

 

 

AGREED

 

That the report be noted.

11.

Corporate Enforcement pdf icon PDF 240 KB

To provide Members with an update on enforcement activity across the Council (report of the Assistant Director – Wellbeing and Community Leadership enclosed).

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Assistant Director – Wellbeing and Community Leadership to provide members with an update on enforcement activity across the Council.

 

The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager introduced the report which updated the Panel on enforcement data and activity relating to:

·         Community Safety and enforcement;

·         Housing;

·         Environmental Protection;

·         Food health and safety;

·         Licensing; and

·         Environmental crime

Since the report had been written, a court case on 6 June 2022 had resulted in a guilty charge for fly tipping of tyres in Sutton Bridge. Ongoing cases were under investigation in areas of Tydd St Mary, Gedney Hill, Donington, Long Sutton and Surfleet.

 

Members considered the report and made the following comments:

  • Members queried the fixed penalty amount for fly tips.
    • The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager confirmed that the fixed penalty was £200 however prosecutions would be pursued where the penalty was not deemed suitable for the size of the crime. A recent prosecution had proved successful and
  • Members acknowledged the challenges in identifying fly tipping culprits and asked if CCTV cameras would assist.
    • The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager confirmed that cameras would be installed in due course to assist with the issue: site visits had taken place; cameras were held; and installation would follow the completion of GPDR considerations

 

  • Members welcomed the review to investigate the contracting out of the fly tipping enforcement service and of the progress being made towards the use of CCTV. Enforcement activity was impressive however prosecutions were low compared to the number of incidences in rural areas, particularly in Crowland and Deeping St Nicholas, and members requested reassurance that investigations would take place in all areas of the district where evidence was held. Prosecutions needed to increase.
    • The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager confirmed that all incidences were investigated where evidence was held. A fixed penalty notice had been issued on 6 June 2022 for a small fly tip in Crowland. Work was underway to publicise successful enforcements which would act as a prevention measure. The recent court prosecution had imposed a fine of £2710 with costs of £404 and a surcharge of £190.

 

  • Members asked whether fly tipping prosecution data was available so that South Holland District Council’s performance could be compared with other authorities in the S&ELCP.
    • The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager confirmed that the information was freely available on a public website and that the link would be shared with the Panel.

 

  • Members acknowledged the valuable work of the Community Wardens. Were the posts permanent?
    • The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager confirmed that the Community Warden posts had previously been externally funded but were now permanent posts.

 

  • Members stated that the early presentation of waste was a problem throughout the district and prosecutions needed to take place. Where properties were rented, agents and property owners should be involved.

12.

Crime and Disorder Report pdf icon PDF 215 KB

To provide Members with an update on Community Safety Partnership work at a local and county level (report of the Assistant Director – Wellbeing and Community Leadership enclosed).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Assistant Director – Wellbeing and Community Leadership to provide members with an update on Community Safety Partnership work at a local and county level.

 

The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager introduced the report which provided an overview of the work undertaken by the Safer Lincolnshire Partnership, which related to:

  • The South and East Lincolnshire Community Safety Partnership;
  • Multi-agency case meetings;
  • Operational Partnership Team (OPT);
  • CCTV;
  • Safer Lincolnshire Partnership;
  • Anti-Sociable Behaviour (ASB);
  • Domestic Abuse;
  • Fraud;
  • Modern Slavery;
  • Reducing Offending;
  • Review of partnership arrangements;
  • Priority Setting;
  • Delivery plans; and
  • Domestic Abuse Partnership.

 

The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager noted that Q3 and Q4 CCTV data had been unavailable due to staffing issues at the CCTV control room but this would be resolved by Q2. Although a report was not available for this meeting, the Police had confirmed that CCTV had assisted with investigations in Spalding of an attempted rape and an incident of grievous bodily harm. Further examples where CCTV had assisted with enquiries would come forward at the next meeting.

 

The Panel considered the report and made the following comments:

 

  • Members noted that 25 CCTV cameras were situated in Crowland, Holbeach and Spalding and asked if they would be installed in other parts of the district. This would be useful in view of the lack of Police presence.
    • The Community Safety and Enforcement Manager responded that locations of cameras would be considered as part of the CCTV review due to take place later this year. The review would involve the engagement of Parishes who would be approached.
  • Members were keen to be involved in the review of the CCTV system and stated that any replacement system should:
    • be installed in remote locations;
    • be user friendly; and
    • incorporate a commitment from the Police to utilise the system.

 

AGREED:

 

That the report be noted.

13.

Swimming Pool & Leisure Facilities Task Group Update Quarter 4 2021/2022 pdf icon PDF 240 KB

To provide the Panel with an update on Leisure provision (report of the Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture enclosed).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture to provide the Panel with an update on leisure provision.

 

The Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture introduced the report which provided the Panel with an update on the 2021/22 Q4 position for the provision of leisure and the development of the future options and opportunities for leisure provision in South Holland.

 

Members considered the report and made the following comments:

 

  • Members asked if the performance figures within the report had included the recent closures and had the problems which resulted in the closure been overcome?
    • The Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture confirmed that the recent closures would be reported at the next update for Q1 2022/2023. Steps had been taken to resolve the issue. 

 

  • Members asked if the facility was fully staffed.
    • The Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture stated that Parkwood were working towards full staffing. Measures had included a pay review of younger Life Guards; additional training programmes; and recruitment for a Contract Manager and Operational Managers across the three sites.

 

  • Members referred to section 3.6 of the report regarding the lack of demand for catering and proposed that this had resulted from a poor catering offer, and that the catering offer had been unavailable. Did plans exist to consult with customers to gauge demand which the contractor could provide.
    • The Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture responded that consultations with users would take place as part of the future leisure provision planning. The timescale for the consultation was unknown however project milestones would come forward in due course.

 

  • Members welcomed the major investment in a new leisure facility in Spalding but stated that the current facilities needed to be kept running well alongside planning for the future.
    • The Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture assured members that the contract was being scrutinised closely. The current facility was ailing which brought challenges but proactive actions were underway.
  • Members stated that the increased use of the facilities was encouraging and the difficulties of returning from Covid were acknowledged. The performance of the contract had caused concerns, some of which had resulted from uncontrollable factors whilst others had been controllable and needed to be addressed.
    • The Assistant Director – Leisure and Culture confirmed there were a number of national issues which had affected all leisure providers but local issues were also being looked at.
  • The Chairman noted that members may receive a briefing on future facilities in due course and become involved in the process.

 

AGREED:

 

a)    That members note the 2021/22 Quarter 4 performance outcomes detailed within the report; and

 

That members note the approach being taken to develop future options and opportunities for leisure provision in South Holland.

14.

Annual Joint Scrutiny Task Group for the South & East Lincolnshire Councils Partnership pdf icon PDF 224 KB

To establish a Joint Scrutiny Task Group and agree the associated scope to undertake the annual scrutiny review of the South and East Lincolnshire Councils Partnership (report of the Leader enclosed).

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Assistant Director – Corporate to establish a Joint Scrutiny Task Group and agree the associated scope to undertake the annual scrutiny review of the South and East Lincolnshire Councils Partnership.

 

The report was introduced by the Senior Change and Performance Business Partner who stated that annual joint scrutiny was agreed in the Memorandum of Agreement when the Partnership was formed. The purpose was to review progress of the Partnership, to understand its effectiveness and identify opportunities for further development.

 

Appendix A set out the scope of scrutiny which needed to be agreed by the Panel. The Panel also needed to agree to the appointment of one member from the Scrutiny Committee to join the Task Group alongside the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Performance Monitoring Panel.

 

The Chairman requested nominations from the Panel to join the Task Group. Both Councillors T A Carter and S C Walsh were nominated, and Councillor S C Walsh was duly appointed to the Task Group.

 

The Task Group’s scope was also approved by the Panel.

 

AGREED:

 

a)    That the scope at Appendix A be agreed to enable the scrutiny exercise to commence promptly in October; and

 

b)    That Councillor S C Walsh be appointed to join the Joint Scrutiny Task Group alongside the Chairman (Councillor B Alcock) and Vice Chairman (Councillor M Booth).

15.

Performance Monitoring Panel Work Programme pdf icon PDF 180 KB

To set out the Work Programme of the Performance Monitoring Panel (report of the Interim Assistant Director - Governance enclosed).

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Consideration was given to the report of the Interim Assistant Director – Governance which set out the Work Programme of the Performance Monitoring Panel. The work programme consisted of two separate sections, the first setting out the date of the future Panel meetings along with proposed items for consideration, and the second setting out the Task Groups that had been identified by the Panel.

 

The Democratic Services Officer discussed updates to the Work Programme.

For Appendix A, it was noted that:

o   the Workforce Development Strategy, adopted in May 2022, had been added as an item for review in November 2022; and

o   other regular updates would be added to the Work Programme in collaboration with the Chairman.

 

For Appendix B, it was noted that:

  • all recommendations of the South Holland Centre Task Group had been agreed at Cabinet on 7 June 2022 and these would be tracked by the Performance Monitoring Panel at the September and November 2022 meetings. The Chairman noted some imminent deadlines and requested that a schedule of recommendations be provided by the service as soon as possible.
  • Two Task Groups on Appendix B awaiting commencement were deemed to have significant overlap and had been merged. This related to the ‘Public Open Spaces Task Group’ and the ‘Effectiveness of Management Companies to undertake maintenance on Residential Estates Task Group’.

 

Members considered the report and made the following comments:

 

  • Members noted that the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field Task Group update was coming forward in November 2022, however a current issue relating to the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field required an urgent response. Members suggested that a communication to the responsible officer and Portfolio Holder could quickly resolve the issue.

o    The Chairman responded that an enquiry relating to the urgent issue had been submitted and he was awaiting a response. The Chairman would chase a response. Members were satisfied with this approach.

 

·         Members stated that the Transport Joint Scrutiny Task Group had commenced and a report would be coming forward in due course.

 

·         Members requested the Portfolio Holder for Communities and Facilities be invited to the September 2022 Performance Monitoring Panel meeting to discuss progress of the South Holland Centre Task Group recommendations.

o    The Chairman responded that the schedule of recommendations had been requested. The responsibility for delivery of the recommendations had been specifically given to the Portfolio Holder by the Leader. If appropriate, the Portfolio Holder would be invited to the September 2022 meeting as suggested.

 

AGREED:

 

That the Work Programme of the Performance Monitoring Panel be noted.

16.

Any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent

 

 

NOTE:            No other business is permitted unless by reason of special circumstances, which shall be specified in the minutes, the Chairman is of the opinion that the item(s) should be considered as a matter of urgency.

Minutes:

There were none

 

17.

To consider resolving that, under section 100A (4) of the Local Government Act 1972, the public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business on the grounds that it involves the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in Paragraph 3 of part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.

18.

Committee Minute (Restricted)

To sign as a correct record the restricted minute of the following meeting:

 

·         Performance Monitoring Panel 16 March 2022

Minutes:

AGREED:

 

That the restricted minute of the meeting of the Performance Monitoring Panel held on Wednesday 16 March 2022 be signed by the Chairman as a correct record.