Agenda and minutes

Spalding Town Forum - Wednesday, 11th March, 2015 6.30 pm

Venue: Meeting Room 1, Council Offices, Priory Road, Spalding

Contact: Shelley French  01775 764451

Items
No. Item

32.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 73 KB

To sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 10 December 2014 (copy enclosed). 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting of Spalding Town Forum held on 10 December 2014 were approved as a correct record.

 

The Chairman advised the Forum that he would shortly be meeting with Nigel Burch (Senior Economic Development Officer) and Phil Scarlett (Spalding and District Chamber of Commerce) to look at the feasibility of extra Christmas lighting down the Hole in the Wall Passage. 

33.

Declarations of Interest.

(Members are no longer required to declare personal of prejudicial interests but are to declare any new Disclosable Pecuniary Interests that are not currently included in their Register of Interests.

 

Members are reminded that under the Code of Conduct they are not to participate in the whole of an agenda item to which they have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest.  In the interests of transparency, members may also wish to declare any other interests that they have, in relation to an agenda item, that supports the Nolan principles detailed within the Code of Conduct.)   

 

Minutes:

There were none

34.

Anglian Water Spalding Sewage Treatment Works

To discuss the smell produced from the Anglian Water Sewage Treatment Works, West Marsh Road, Spalding. 

Minutes:

The Chairman told the Forum that he thought he would raise the matter for discussion surrounding the smell of the Sewage treatment works, West Marsh Road, Spalding.

 

Shelley French (Democratic Services Support Officer) advised that in line with openness and transparency that her husband was an engineer that worked for Anglian Water, based at Spalding Sewage Treatment Works. 

 

The smell of the sewage treatment works was having a large impact on residents within the vicinity of the works.  The Chairman advised the Forum that he, with the Forum’s approval, would write a letter to Anglian Water regarding the matter and ask them what they were doing to try and solve the issue. 

 

The Forum agreed that this would be a very good idea and the Phil Scarlett proposed that the Spalding and District Chamber of Commerce would also write a letter. 

 

AGREED:

 

(a)          That the Chairman write a letter of complaint to Anglian Water regarding the smell from the West Marsh Road, Sewage Treatment Works and ask them what their intentions were to try and solve the issue. 

35.

Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field Gates

Minutes:

The Chairman advised that the following update had been provided by Councillor Johnson on the Sir Halley Stewart Playing Field Gates:

 

·         The gates had been made safe;

·         A budget of £17,000 had been allocated (it was not anticipated it would cost that amount) through reserves, for 2015/2016 in order to renovate the gates;

·         The work would be carried out during 2015/2016, whereby the gates would be taken down and temporary gates would be installed.  The gates would then be shot blasted and repaired then re-installed. 

 

The Chairman informed the Forum that he would be requesting to have sight of the tenders put forward for the work. 

36.

Update on Bandstand and Aviary, Ayscoughfee Gardens

Minutes:

The Chairman advised that Councillor Johnson had provided an update on the Bandstand Aviary at Ayscoughfee Hall Gardens:

 

·         A planning  application had been submitted which was expected to be considered no earlier than June 2015;

·         A budget of £67,000 had been allocated (for the bandstand and aviary) however the costs were expected to be more, therefore the contract would go to tender;

·         In terms of the planning application:

-        The Historic Environment Officer from Lincolnshire County Council had already raised various objections;

-        The Civic Society were happy with proposals;

-        English Heritage had been consulted but their comments were unknown.

·         It was unlikely that the work would be carried out during summer 2015;

·         Officer were trying to locate additional funding. 

 

The Forum noted the current situation and requested that the Chairman invite the relevant officer to a future meeting to discuss the proposals in more depth and to have sight of the plans in place. 

 

AGREED:

 

That the Chairman invite the relevant officer from South Holland District Council to discuss the proposals for the bandstand and aviary in further detail. 

37.

Spalding Town Centre Traffic Order

Democratic Services Support Officer to provide a clear definition of the Traffic Order that relates to Spalding Town Centre. 

Minutes:

The Democratic Services Support Officer circulated a copy of the Traffic Regulation Order relating to Spalding Market Place and Hall Place, within the Town Centre.  The Forum were advised that attached to the TRO was a simplified version, which Legal Services Lincolnshire had provided, which hopefully made what was expected much clearer. 

 

The Forum discussed the possibility of writing to all the business located within the area that the TRO covered reminding them of when vehicles were permitted through the Market Place and Hall Place.  It was also suggested that the signage for the area be vastly improved as the poor signage may be contributing to vehicles using the road during the prohibited times. 

 

The Chairman advised that he was due to meet with the Lincolnshire County Council Portfolio Holder who’s remit covered traffic management on 30 March 2015, and he would raise the points discussed then. 

 

Councillor Taylor requested that Jonathan Wickham from Lincolnshire County Council be invited to a future meeting, to discuss the Transport Strategy and its progress. 

 

AGREED:

 

That Jonathan Wickham from Lincolnshire County Council be invited to a future meeting of Spalding Town Forum to discuss the progress of the Spalding Transport Strategy. 

 

 

38.

Pedestrian safety in Holland Market

Minutes:

The Chairman invited Councillor Roger Gambba-Jones to speak to the Forum regarding pedestrian safety in Holland Market. 

 

It had been observed that it was increasingly difficult to cross onto the Bus Station from Holland Market.  Councillor Gambba-Jones had been advised by Lincolnshire County Council that as the bus station did not have a recognised footpath, in the crossing area,  therefore no pedestrian safety crossing could be installed.

 

Members of the Forum suggested that perhaps the disembarkation paths, at the bus stops, be extended to allow for a purpose built crossing to be installed.  There were great concerns regarding the elderly and the vulnerable using the bus station and the matter should be further investigated.   The Chairman suggested that the matter be discussed at a future meeting where Jonathan Wickham, Lincolnshire County Council was invited. 

 

AGREED:

 

That a potential safety crossing, at the bus station, Spalding, be discussed with Jonathan Wickham, Lincolnshire County Council at a future meeting. 

 

 

 

 

 

39.

Any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent

NOTE:               No other business is permitted unless by reason of special circumstances, which shall be specified in the minutes, the Chairman is of the opinion that the item(s) should be considered as a matter of urgency.  

Minutes:

The Chairman advised that Councillor Gambba-Jones had a further matter to be discussed regarding pedestrian safety. 

 

Councillor Gambba-Jones circulated to the Forum a copies of photographs taken of the state of the pedestrianised areas of Market Place/Hall Place.  It was clear from the photographs, which were dated 11 March 2015 showed some uneven surfaces and missing paving stones.  The Chairman was very interested in how the area was surveyed and suggested that he accompany the surveyor next time they were due to look at the area. 

 

With the Chairman’s permission Inspector Jim Tyner advised that he would be transferring from Spalding to Skegness over the summer period and that Inspector J Reeves would be taking his place, over the interim period. 

 

AGREED:

 

That the Chairman contact the surveyor, of the Market Place/Hall Place pedestrianised area of the Town Centre and ask to accompany them the next time to area was surveyed. 

40.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Spalding Town Forum is scheduled to take place on 17 June 2015, in Meeting Room 1, commencing at 6.30p.m. 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Spalding Town Forum was scheduled to take place on 17 June 2015, 6.30p.m.