Agenda and minutes

Spalding Town Forum - Wednesday, 17th June, 2015 6.30 pm

Venue: Meeting Room 1, Council Offices, Priory Road, Spalding

Contact: Shelley French  01775 764451

Items
No. Item

1.

Election of Chairman

Minutes:

The Democratic Services Support Officer requested nominations for the election of Chairman. 

 

AGREED:

 

That Councillor G R Aley be elected Chairman for the ensuing year. 

2.

Election of Vice-Chairman

Minutes:

The Chairman requested nominations for the election of Vice Chairman. 

 

AGREED:

 

That Councillor J D McLean be elected Vice Chairman for the ensuing year. 

 

3.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 66 KB

To sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 11 March 2015 (copy enclosed). 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 11 March 2015 were approved as a correct record. 

4.

Declaration of Interests.

(Councillors are reminded that under the Code of Conduct they are not to participate in the whole of an agenda item to which they have a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest.  In the interests of transparency, councillors may also wish to declare any other interests that they have, in relation to an agenda item, that supports the Nolan principles detailed within the Code of Conduct.)

Minutes:

Councillor Harry Drury advised the Forum that he had resigned from his position as lobbyist at the Chamber of Commerce since his election to South Holland District Council. 

 

Shelley French (Democratic Services Support Officer) advised that in line with openness and transparency that her husband was an engineer that worked for Anglian Water, based at Spalding Sewage Treatment Works. 

 

 

5.

Anglian Water Spalding Sewage Treatment Works

Councillor G Aley to provide an update on complaints raised regarding the Sewage Treatment Works, West Marsh Road, Spalding.

Minutes:

The Chairman provided an update on situation regarding the smells which came from the Anglian Water Sewage Treatment Works, West Marsh Road, Spalding. 

 

The issue had been reported further in the press and Anglian Water had advised that they were tracking the problem. 

 

Some members of the Forum felt that the issue had improved, but felt it was an important issue to keep track of.  Councillor McLean suggested that it would be interesting to find out how far the smell spread throughout the area, so that the full impact could be monitored. 

 

Pastor Kevin Taylor suggested that the power station and the Lincolnshire County Council Recycling Centre could also be contributing to the odour.  Members of the Forum were greatly concerned that the smell may have an impact on Springfields Shopping Outlet by giving tourists and visitors to the area a negative view of Spalding. 

 

AGREED:

 

The Chairman would keep in contact with Anglian Water to ensure the issue was addressed. 

 

 

6.

Traffic issues relating to rail crossings

Councillor G Aley to lead a discussion surrounding the impact closures of rail crossings has had on Spalding.

Minutes:

The Chairman advised that there had been traffic issues which were related to the rail crossing closures throughout Spalding.  He had felt that Network Rail had not lived up to its promises regarding rail crossings, which had been discussed at some length with the Forum as part of the consultation process on the Network update. 

 

Councillor Taylor raised concerns regarding the impact closures and problems/technical issues of crossings had an businesses but most importantly the emergency services. 

 

The Chief Executive at South Holland District Council had written to Network Rail regarding footbridges, but at that time had not yet received a response. 

 

The Forum agreed that it would be useful for an invitation to be extended to a senior officer at Network Rail who may be able to address all of members concerns. 

 

AGREED:

 

That the Chairman write to a senior office at Network Rail and invite them to attend a future meeting in order to address members concerns. 

7.

Christmas Lights

Councillor H Drury to provide an update on the Christmas Lights for Spalding Town Centre and the work with the Chamber of Commerce. 

Minutes:

Councillor Harry Drury provided the Forum, on behalf of Phil Scarlett with costings for the Christmas Lights, which had been put together by the Chamber of Commerce. 

 

The one main area of interest which had been high on the agenda for Christmas Lighting 2015 was the ‘Hole in the Wall’ passage, Dennis Hannant circulated copies of photos of what the area could look like.  Details of costings for the proposals were discussed. 

 

The Chairman advised members that he did not wish to enter into any further Service Level Agreements with the Chamber of Commerce without first looking at all available opportunities regarding the Christmas Lights, both administration and putting up, taking down and storage each year.  Budgets available to the Council for Christmas decorations were very limited and the Council needed to be very cost effective. 

 

All that were present agreed that it would be a valuable addition to the Town Centre display to have an addition down the ‘Hole in the Wall’. 

 

AGREED:

 

(a)          The Democratic Services Officer agreed to call a meeting between the relevant parties within South Holland District Council to discuss what avenues were available regarding the Christmas Lights 2015, including the ‘Hole in the Wall’ passage; and

 

(b)          The Chairman would provide updates to members of the Forum if not before the 17 September 2015 meeting of the Forum. 

8.

Any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent

NOTE:               No other business is permitted unless by reason of special circumstances, which shall be specified in the minutes, the Chairman is of the opinion that the item(s) should be considered as a matter of urgency.  

Minutes:

Members of the Forum requested that the Democratic Services Support Officer find out where the law stood regarding smoking in children’s play areas and dogs in play areas.

 

Councillor Jack McLean thanked everyone for the nomination for Vice Chairman of the Spalding Town Forum. 

9.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Spalding Town Forum is scheduled to take place on 17 September 2015 in Meeting Room 1 commencing at 6.30p.m. 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Spalding Town Forum was scheduled to take place on 17 September 2015, 6.30p.m.