Agenda and minutes

Spalding Town Forum - Wednesday, 20th June, 2018 6.30 pm

Venue: Meeting Room 1, Council Offices, Priory Road, Spalding

Contact: Democratic Services  01775 764626

Items
No. Item

1.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 74 KB

To sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 28 March 2018 (copy enclosed). 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 28 March 2018 were signed by the Chairman as a correct record.

 

2.

Declaration of Interests.

Where a Councillor has a Disclosable Pecuniary Interest the Councillor must declare the interest to the meeting and leave the room without participating in any discussion or making a statement on the item, except where a Councillor is permitted to remain ad a result of a grant of dispensation.

Minutes:

There were none.

3.

WW2 Memorial - Ayscoughee Gardens

Councillor Grocock to provide a briefing on the current status of the WW2 memorial in Ayscoughee Gardens.

Minutes:

The Chairman of the Committee of the Spalding WW2 Memorial Charity provided the Forum with an update on the status of the WW2 memorial in Ayscoughee Gardens.

 

The Chairman of the Committee of the Spalding WW2 Memorial Charity stated that in his first year as Chairman of the WW2 Committee everything was set up ready to take place. He stated that it was felt that a memorial was needed which matched the quality of the WW1 memorial in Spalding.

 

The cost for the stone slabs required for the memorial was £55,000. It was stated that at the time of this meeting, the charity had so far raised £35,000

 

It was stated that an official dinner had raised £1300 and District councillors had been extremely generous with donations, so too had local businesses.

 

Bakkavor had recently chosen the WW2 memorial as one of their selected charities for the year.

 

The Chairman of the Committee of the Spalding WW2 Memorial Charity summarised the update by saying that progress was good and the WW2 committee were happy with where they were.

 

The Chairman of the Forum wanted to offer the support of the Town Forum to the WW2 committee.

 

George Scott of the Spalding Transport Forum asked how many veterans had been contacted to get their support. The Chairman of the Committee of the Spalding WW2 Memorial Charity stated that tracing veterans was difficult.

 

Members asked how many names were due to go on the memorial. The Chairman of the Committee of the Spalding WW2 Memorial Charity stated that the only names were those who had a connection to Spalding specifically. He stated that they were fairly certain that the number would be 118-120 people in total.

 

It was stated that the deadline for the project to be completed by was 1 March 2018.

 

Members asked about Sponsorship names. The Chairman of the Committee of the Spalding WW2 Memorial Charity stated that on the 2 side columns of the design, any organisation (apart from the building company and councillors) that donated over £1000 would have their names inscribed.

 

AGREED:

 

That the update be noted

 

4.

Spalding Special Expenses pdf icon PDF 45 KB

Jane Crosby to provide an update to the Spalding Special Expenses.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chairman stated that he was very pleased with the details that were included in the report and that with the amounts that were provided, some time could be made up. The Head of Finance stated that the included document was still a work in progress and an accountant was being brought in to examine these figures.

 

The Head of Finance stated that, at the meeting due to be held in October, 5 months of actual spend data could be presented to the forum. Officers agreed that the service managers who were relevant to the data presented at the next meeting could attend to provide detailed answers to questions.

 

The Chairman asked if this was the format which Spalding Special Expenses would be published in in the future. The Head of Finance stated that a similar level of detail to that featured in the report brought to this meeting could be provided in the future.

 

Chairman asked if there was any difficulty covering any of the expenses. Officers responded that there was not.

 

The Chairman asked if Christmas furniture and equipment expenses covered the Christmas lights. The Head of Finance answered that it did.

 

Members stated that the recharge was significant and did not provide much detail and wanted more information on these.

 

The Head of Finance asked members to get in contact with feedback, if they had any, to inform the next meeting’s update.

 

AGREED:

 

That the contents of the update be noted

5.

Traffic Congestion Update

Councillor Newton to provide a traffic congestion update.

Minutes:

A major upcoming traffic matter for the weeks and months following this meeting was West Marsh Road. Anglian Water had had a major chamber collapse which needed rectifying. It was necessary for the width restriction at the West Elloe Avenue Junction to be removed in order to allow Bakkavor access which they needed. It was stated that there was no fixed date for this work, but it was agreed that the forum would be updated when further details were known.

 

Footway slurry seal was scheduled to begin on 25 June at the following locations:

·         Two Plank Lane

·         Farthingales

·         Brendon Walk

·         Mendip Close

·         Cathedral Drive

·         Park Close

·         Cavendish Way

·         Parkside Crescent

·         Bentinck Close

·         Cavendish Way

·         Clumber Drive

·         Park Lane

·         Park Avenue

·         Speyer Avenue

·         Sezanne Walk

·         St Annes Way

·         St Annes Close

 

There were plans for full reconstruction of footways in the following areas;

·         Balmoral Avenue

·         Stonegate

·         Queens Road

There was no date set for this work.

 

Surface dressing was starting on 2 July 2018 at the following locations:

·         The Hayfields

·         Spalding

·         Clover Lane including Campion Close and Lucerne Close

·         Angelica Drive

·         Farthingales, Brendon Walk & Mendip Close

·         Lilburn Drive including The Grove

·         Daniels Gate

·         Chaldean Way

·         Daniels Reach

·         Baxter Gardens

·         Fairview Way

·         Vernatts Green

·         Fairview Close

·         Aalsmeer Rise including; Haarlem Court, Limburg Drive, Breda Court and Heren Place

·         B1172 – Little London / Spalding Common

·         Willow Walk, Osier Road and Rutland Close.

 

George Scott stated that consideration should be given to all of the housebuilding in the future which would impact on traffic in the area.

 

Councillor Williams stated that light-jumping had become an issue. He wanted it noted in the minute that he was concerned with this, especially with children crossing the roads, and that the problem was particularly bad on Swan Street.

6.

London Road Barricades update

Councillor McLean to provide an update on the progress made towards rectifying issues with the Anglian Water barricades on London Road.

Minutes:

The chairman presented an update to the situation surrounding the barricades on London Road.

 

The barricades on the pipework on London Road had now been painted green to be more in keeping with the area. It was stated that this was not a perfect answer to the issue and work was being done to push for an even better solution. However, members, in general were very pleased with the progress made and were happy that Anglian Water had listened to their complaints.

 

AGREED:

That the contents of the update be noted.

7.

Phone Box Adoption

Councillor Drury to provide an update to progress on BT Phone Box adoption.

Minutes:

There was no information with which to update councillors at the time of the meeting. The Chairman asked that members make any recommendations for ideas for Phone Box adoption strategies to Councillor Drury, who had been taking a lead on the proposal.

8.

Matters arising from the last minutes.

Minutes:

There were none

9.

Any other items which the Chairman decides are urgent

NOTE:               No other business is permitted unless by reason of special circumstances, which shall be specified in the minutes, the Chairman is of the opinion that the item(s) should be considered as a matter of urgency.  

Minutes:

Members raised the topic of the Sir Halley Stewart field. An open day had been held for local sports clubs in a hope to attract new uses for the field. It was stated that another open day was due to take place on the Saturday following the meeting and members were invited to attend.

 

George Scott of the Spalding Transport Forum stated that 22 hanging baskets had been added to the station with automatic watering systems. He also stated that the new programme given by East Midlands Trains no longer provided a Sunday service from Spalding station. He stated that the Spalding Transport Forum had been campaigning against this. It was suggested that District Councillors should lobby against these changes.

 

The Chairman asked that information be circulated from George Scott to the Spalding Town Forum

 

10.

Date and Time of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Spalding Town Forum is scheduled to take place on 3 October 2018 in Meeting Room 1 commencing at 6.30p.m. 

Minutes:

The next meeting was scheduled to be held on 3 October 2018 at 6:30pm.